
This was our car growing up. The only change would be to add a nice shade of late 70's Olive green. It came complete with the "wood" stripe and white leather interior. We spent endless hours in this car, road trips up North to Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota and Iowa. In the winter the seats were cold as ice and in the summer you were lucky if 3rd degree burns were the extent of your injuries.
Many miles of "Troy's on my side" and "Amanda won't quit touching me". Of course Brent was sandwiched between us, the unlucky beneficiary of missed swings and punches. We had rules for "our space". There was piping that separated parts of the backseat and we were not to cross those lines. So of course, my older brother tormented me by barely sticking his finger over the line onto my side. I would scream "Troy's on my side!" And of course by the time a parental unit turned around he's looking at me inquisitively as if he has no idea what I'm talking about. It's ridiculous now but at the time that infuriated me and satisfied him. As much as that irritated me there was one good thing about "our sides".
Early on I claimed the seat BEHIND my father. Why you ask?? Well let me tell ya. There was an arm rest between the two front seats that could be lifted to make another seat. When we were in trouble in the back for fighting or whatever, my dad would reach over and have a direct line to my older brother's leg. SWAT!! BUT- he couldn't reach me! I can see him now, reaching around, feverishly waving that arm trying to make contact. I would push my legs over to the door and was saved from the sting of a swat. Usually by the time we got where we were going he had forgotten about it, so there's no doubt Troy got the bad end of that stick. Ahhh, the joy that can come from moments like that!
I've been nostalgic lately and was thinking of that car for some reason. I guess because it's my most vivid memory of my entire family being together. It's too bad we forget the day to day life we have lived, memories fade too fast.
Anyway, here's a picture (only his was white, so it was a little bit cooler) of my Dad's car. I know you all are jealous these are the cars I got to ride around in growing up, just thought I'd share so you all know what you've been missing!


6 comments:
The 79 Chrysler Town and Country Station wagon was one sweet ride as was dad's early 80's white Honda Civic hatchback. I remember every detail of both of those cars. Good times. I remember mom and dad folding down the back seat of the wagon and making "beds" for us to sleep while we traveled at night. I always tried to stay awake as long as I could. I remember several songs from those trip today. I remember staying awake for most of a trip home from Grammy's so I could sneak a Welch's grape soda that grammy had given us but mom wouldnt let us drink. I also remember on that same trip home dad falling asleep while driving on I-44 as we were on the curvy part of the interstate by Penn Square Mall at 4:00 in the morning, mom screaming to wake him up as we headed straight toward the wall and our death at 60 mph. How funny is it that we always came home from Grammy's with kittens even though mom hated animals?
Well this Rabbit was the closest I could find to what it looked like. I remember dad's car smelled like oil field (I still love that smell) and mom's smelled like vomit courtesy of your's truely.
Ah this made me laugh and it was so well written too.
how could I mind? I'm touched. Many thanks. Great blog. (and DO get to Rome, it's just gorgeous, my absolute favourite city).
(my word verification is micies, which is nicie!)
My mother used to do the same thing to us, swing wildly behind her and contact with whomever. I remember she would always threaten to stop the car and throw us out. One time she did, I got out, all rebellious. She drove off. I thought, "I'll fix her," and hid behind a bush. She did a lap around the block, came back, and freaked out cos I wasn't there. That'll teach 'er..and it did :)
I've done your tag today on my Chez Aspie blog. xo
Post a Comment